Tuesday, December 23, 2014

14 Best Paintings of 2014

How does your favorite measure up to the "14 Best in 2014"?

14.  "It's not all Black and White" ~This was the last painting I did before leaving Maui and the idea came from having mailed all of my paint other than these colors back to the mainland to begin Alexa's Makin Waves Grant Art Tour 2014 and not wanting to buy any others at Ace Hardware (#expensive) in Lahaina for my Gallery show at Maui Hands.  A cute couple who had just honeymooned in Maui took home the original at one of my Chicago shows in June.

13.  "Dol'FUN' Family" (or Dolfun times, or party I keep signing them differently)  ~ A good friend and mentor Walfrido once told me "if you're ever starving, paint dolphins" so I made a note not to paint dolphins EVER, but after being asked somewhere between dozens and hundreds of times if I had any dolphin pieces I decided to do one in my style and not at all cheesy.

12.  "Dreaming of Matapalo" ~This was another piece I did just before leaving Maui to start the tour as I was reminiscing of my time spent in Costa Rica with my buddy Mark on the incredible Osa Peninsula.  We surfed perfect waves and couldnt see a single person in any direction!

11."Stacked" ~ Gotta give a shout out to my favorite bikini makers ever - Pakaloha! A great butt and great waves, what else is there to say?

10."Just Floating" ~ The Portuguese Man-o-War is one of the most fascinating little alien creatures on the planet I think. They look so cool and they sting so hard, but all the while, they're just floating.

9. "Floating into the Surreal" ~ Inspired by the Balloon Fiesta art show in Albuquerque this October.  There's no torch and no pilot, why? Because I said so. #Surrealism.

8. "Wake and Break" ~ This was one of the most difficult pieces to paint and I'm stoked it's owned by my good friend and awesome surfer Frank.  I named it during my summer in Colorado :).

7. "Reflections of the Southwest" ~ What happens when you camp for a week in the New Mexico desert with only your dog to talk to and binge watch the first 3 seasons of breaking bad because people kept telling me to (since apparently the only people who have RVs are meth cooks and me)? This.

6. "Morning Glorious" ~ As I was driving over a bridge on the west coast of Florida heading to a show last weekend, I saw an unbelievable sunset that inspired this piece.  This was the largest piece I've done since being in the RV (72" long) and now I'm pretty certain that there is not 72 inches of available space anywhere in my RV.  

5. "Honu Beach Splash" ~ I'm so stoked that my good friend and roomie from Maui, Megan-one-liner, bought this piece before I left. It's still one of my best sellers and one of my favorites.

4. "Be Epic" ~ At the time, this was the biggest and certainly the awesomest piece I had.  I was painting it at a show in Orlando when a tornado rolled through, but it survived! and eventually sold to a favorite collector of mine in Chicago. 

3. "808 Turtle Moment" ~ A photo taken by my good friend and awesome photographer in Maui inspired this piece.  The frame is the first of many unconventional and custom frames I'm going to do for my pieces. I cant wait for this monumental piece to find it's forever home!

2. "Glass Half Full" ~ I need to first give props to my friend Jodie Bliss and kick-ass blacksmith for coming up with the name!  I had started this piece back in August in Colorado and had a mental block about it.  Then after spending some time with friends from South Africa, I acquired the focus to finish this piece and I'm glad I finally did! It's one of my favorites and the most different.

1.  "Full Moon Hatchlings" ~  My number one pick for 2014 for a few reasons.  The first being it was the first time I've painted a moon and now all I want to do is paint moons, they're so majestic!  I hung out with a friend and fellow artist Sarah Hooper at her house while painting this piece. When I finally finished it, and posted it online, it was shared by my friend Lexie Beach who works at the Sea Turtle Conservancy #conserveturtles whom I'm partners with, it went crazy! hundreds of people re-shared this piece and it sold within hours of being complete! 

For a full portfolio check out AlexasMakinWaves.com or facebook.com/alexasmakinwaves
Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment