Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Back to the Beach! lets talk about some art and the Sea Turtle Conservancy

Florida is hardly Maui, but I'm back! Back to the beach. So this is going to be more of a surf blog now.  I did get some waves up in St Augustine and it was good but nothing blog worthy... so here is some art!
 For those who don't know I am embarking on a partnership with the Sea Turtle Conservancy so here is some more info about a few of my turtle pieces :)

~ 808 Turtle Moment. ~
This is a 24"x48" original that as of writing this blog is still available.  This piece was inspired by a photo that my friend Scott Hareland took free diving in Maui.  Swimming with turtles is the most meditative thing I've ever done.  This is a Green Sea turtle, found in both the Atlantic and pacific oceans, this turtle is named not for the color of its shell but the color of the fat below its shell. It's a little disheartening to me why anyone would even know the color of the fat under it's shell, but there ya go, mystery solved. 
 ~Be Epic~
This was my first piece that inspired a whole Series called the "two worlds series."  I kinda get on kicks of styles and for a handful of paintings it seemed like the only thing I wanted to do was paint above and below water.  My favorite collector Joey Bennis currently owns this piece in Chicago!
 ~Green Piece~
Another addition to the "two worlds series", the wave was painted after a photo my friend Andrew took in Santa Cruz.  I added the turtle.  I kept referring it to as "the green piece" whilst painting it and since I like to do play on words names for my pieces, there ya go. Green Piece found a home in Kansas City Missouri last month which was awesome. A young guy named Chad had come to the show with the intention of buying a piece of art and he fell in love with the colors and the concept.  It is such an honor that out of the whole show he decided to leave with one of my paintings! Thanks again Chad!
 ~Honu Beach Splash~
One of the last pieces I did before leaving Maui that is now owned by my old room mate Megan-one-liner.  The most interesting thing I can mention about this piece is some of her short spurts of hilarity.   (She's so funny that the last comment she made to me I actually made a note on my phone to remember)
1.  So in regards to our old house on Lahainaluna rd, where all the houses were originally built for the sugar cane plantation workers then in most cases built onto by the residents (not professionals who actually know how to do construction) to have extra apartments for the inevitably growing families' relatives.  So needless to say, they have problems, I'd say half of our outlets didn't work etcetera.   Sooooo, we had a mouse problem towards the end of my living there which I think began by our very sweet but just couldn't quite get her shit together old roommate leaving a bag of cat food under the counter uncontained long after she no longer had a cat. So in regards to the mouse problem and how prolific I imagine it is throughout this neighborhood she coined "Living la vida Lahainaluna" when she found 3 dead mice inside the wall. yep. in the wall.   
2.  The second most recent is a text conversation between the two of us.
      megan- "How did the balloon festival go?"
      me - "terrible, thanks for asking. How's Maui"
      megan- "Oh, No. Are balloon people just full of hot air?"
3.  getting ready for work at wyndham doing time share sales where you encourage people to go to the timeshare presentation by offering really good deals on activities, she asks for my opinion on her outfit.  "does this look slutty? or discount? Because I want to look discount, not slutty" which at the time and given the delivery, was hilarious.
4. I was talking some art show business I think on the phone about my address, which I would no longer have as I am currently living in an RV traveling 100%, and she pipes in overhearing the conversation "You don't have an address, you have a VIN number"
I'm sure there are more but this is all I can think of at the moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment